We all would like to think we can stop the aging train as it speeds forward. But a recent HuffPost50 blog post looked at signs that might indicate you are aging faster than you should. Most aging signs will eventually appear on all of us however, the following will make you look older faster. Some indicators of premature aging are the result of diet, certain behaviors and other things we can change. Be on the lookout for these aging signs:
1. Increase in facial wrinkles – The post points out that when it comes to wrinkles, thinner is not always a plus. One study showed a 10 pound weight loss ages a woman four years. Yo-yo dieting takes a toll. Try eating foods that are good for the skin, like strawberries, stay out of the sun and stop smoking!
2. Droopy eyelids – Some medications, like a glaucoma drug, can cause eyes to sag. But the skin of the eyelid stretches as we age. If you don’t opt for an eye lift, it helps to stay hydrated, get more sleep and decrease salt.
3. You have red-eye – If the blood vessels in your eyes are dilated, your eyes look red or bloodshot and make you look older. If you sit at a computer most of the day staring at a monitor, your eyes can become irritated. Try a cold compress and rest your eyes for 10-15 minutes during the day. If your eyes are constantly red, it’s best to see your doctor.
4. Your hearing has become worse – According to the post, premature hearing loss is often a sign you’re aging too quickly and is also a possible early indicator of dementia developing. You should see a doctor when your hearing is compromised. You may have an ear wax blockage or need hearing aids.
5. You have cotton mouth in the morning – Cotton mouth refers to an abnormally dry mouth. Causes range from medication side effects, smoking, nerve damage or just aging in general. At-home treatments include sipping water, chewing gum and decreasing caffeine. But if it persists, you may want to check with your doctor.