Know a senior who needs to feel loved today? We all do. Even if they are strangers we encounter while we’re out and about today, or family and friends residing in assisted living, in our neighborhood, or in our home, we should seize the opportunity to show them love. And, since it’s also Random Acts of Kindness (RAK) week, what better reason to reach out to someone you don’t even know?
No excuses. We’ve got several simple ideas for you, both for strangers and loved ones:
- Write a love note or hand deliver a card.
- Call a senior relative, friend or neighbor that you haven’t spoken to in a while. Let them know you’re thinking about them.
- Send flowers or chocolates if you live far away; if you’re local, deliver them in person.
- Smile at any senior you meet today. They could be lonely for a sweetheart who passed away, or they could be missing family and friends who don’t live nearby. Your smile could brighten their entire day.
- Chocolates and flowers are sweet, but sometimes a hug, kiss or hand squeeze is a more meaningful gift, especially for those who may be living with Alzheimer’s or dementia. Don’t underestimate the importance and power of appropriate and loving physical contact.
What do you plan to do to show a senior love today?