How much does assisted living cost? It depends on where you live and how many services or daily care hours your loved one needs.
Genworth, a long term care insurance provider, offers an interactive map of the country so consumers can compare costs nationwide. Click on a state or region of interest, and it will load these results: the annual cost of a private one-bedroom apartment in assisted living, the annual costs of a semi-private and private nursing home room, the annual cost of adult day care, and the annual cost of home care, both homemaker services or those of a home health aide. If you prefer, you can also view the monthly or daily breakdown of these costs. Go to the tool.
Here’s a snapshot of annual assisted living care costs in several states:
- In California: $42,000 for a private, one-bedroom apartment
- In New York: $44,400 for a private, one-bedroom apartment
- In Illinois: $48,678 for a private, one-bedroom apartment
- In Texas: $38,400 for a private, one-bedroom apartment
- In Florida: $33,000 for a private, one-bedroom apartment
Bear in mind that these are state averages; depending on what region of the state you’re in (a metropolitan area versus a rural area, for example), costs can vary.
Once you have determined that assisted living care is best for your senior relative or friend, find out how to pay in these posts: