It doesn’t matter if you’re faced with multiple options, or if it’s slim pickings. Either way, you want to select an assisted living community that provides quality care.
Consider these tips for finding quality assisted living care:
1. Choose a community that welcomes visitors. Of course, visitors should always be allowed in senior living, but a place where the staff consistently greets you with a warm smile and gets to know your name if you visit regularly is the kind of environment you want for your loved one.
2. Choose a community that provides sufficient and ongoing training, support and education for staff. When the staff are well-equipped with knowledge, resources, and affirmation from their colleagues, and when management invests in staff this way, the care is likely to be at a higher standard.
3. Choose a community that is clear and up front about all costs. There are many costs beyond basic room and board in assisted living. A well-run community lays out these charges at the outset, or at least notifies you about the possibilities of rate increases and added expenses.
4. Choose a community that is active. Do they play Bingo once a week and have an occasional choral concert or musical performance, or do they have a well-rounded activities calendar full of options?
5. Choose a community with a good reputation. Ask around. Let the community speak for itself and make a decision accordingly.
Dig deeper: Read our post, Finding a Senior Living Community That Fits.