4 Comments

Statistics Snapshot: Who Resides in Assisted Living?

By Michelle Seitzer / Posted on 02 August 2011

Data posted at The National Center for Assisted Living (NCAL) website gives insight regarding the population who resides in assisted living communities throughout the US. The information was originally published in the “2009 Overview of Assisted Living”; the report was a collaborative effort between AAHSA (American Association of Homes and Services for the Aging) and several other national organizations representing the assisted living industry.

From coast to coast, over 900,000 people call assisted living their home. On average, residents are 86.9 years old; the majority are female (74%).

Most residents need assistance with 1.6 ADLs. At 64%, Bathing is the number one activity with which assisted living residents require help, followed by dressing at 39%, toileting at 26%, transferring at 19%, and eating comes in last at 12%.

Meal preparation and medication management are two areas in which 87% and 81% of residents, respectively, have need of staff support.

Where do assisted living residents come from? The bulk of the population (70%) moves to this care setting from a private apartment or home; the remaining 30% come from either a nursing home, independent living community, family residence (perhaps living with an adult child), or another assisted living residence.

Upon move in, residents of assisted living tend to stay for about 28.3 months; from there, they will either move to a nursing facility, back home, or to another location.

There are 4 Comments about this post

  1. [...] make up around 30 percent of the total number of nursing and residential care facilities; assisted and independent living facilities make up 65 percent. The remaining establishments include residential mental health centers, [...]

     

    on 13 February 2012 / 9:04 AM

     
  2. jim davis says,

    currently my mom lives in assisted living in la habra due to early onset alzheimers we think . been there for almost 2 years . her extra funds are almost gone aND I NEED HELP TO FIND OUT ABOUT MOVING HER TO A FACILITY THAT WILL TAKE HER SSI WHICH IS 900 MONTH . SHE IS AT PARK REGENCY FOR NOW BUT IF YOU CAN PLEASE DIRECT ME AS TO FIND ANOTHER HOME FOR HER OR TO GET MORE AID AND ASSISTANCE IF POSSIBLE . EVEN IF MEDI-CAL IS OPTION HOWEVER I DO NOT WANT MY MOM PUT IN A HELL HOLE THAT IS OUT THERE SOMETIMES DUE TO HER LACK OF INCOME . PLEASE HELP US JIM DAVIS 562 505 0004

     

    on 13 February 2012 / 9:48 PM

     
  3. [...] the decision to place your loved one in a senior independent living facility is never easy. You may feel guilty about leaving your elderly parent in the hands of complete strangers, or [...]

     

    on 11 April 2014 / 10:03 AM

     
  4. [...] only about 16,100 nursing homes and senior assisted living facilities across the US, this number is projected to explode exponentially by 2040. To facilitate the aging population, [...]

     

    on 17 April 2014 / 6:02 AM

     
 

Do you have something to say?