Though this can apply to any of life’s milestones, a senior in your life might get a kick of out getting a birthday card from the White House. It may take a while, and there’s no guarantee of a delivery date, but receiving one might be a little part of history.
The White House greeting office will send a congratulatory message to your loved one at your request. A greeting card from the President and First Lady will be sent at certain milestones such as birthdays and anniversaries.
The White House Greetings Office has a huge job, and requests can take several months or more, but here’s how to order greetings from the White House:
U.S. CITIZENS ONLY. The White House will send greetings to United States citizens only, for special occasions as outlined below.
ADVANCE NOTICE REQUIRED. Your request should be received at least six (6) weeks in advance of the event date. (Greetings are generally not sent after the event date, except for wedding congratulations and newborn acknowledgments.)
ANNIVERSARY GREETINGS. Anniversary greetings will be sent to couples who are celebrating a 50th, 60th, 70th or later wedding anniversary.
BIRTHDAY GREETINGS. Birthday greetings will be sent only to people turning 80 or older or veterans turning 70 or older.
OTHER GREETINGS. A limited number of special occasions other than birthdays and anniversaries exist for which the Greetings Office will send appropriate recognition to United States citizens. These occasions include important life events such as:
* Wedding (send your request after the event)
* Baby’s birth or adoption of a child
* Retirement after at least 30 years on the same job
* Eagle Scout Award
* Girl Scout Gold Award
* Bar/Bat Mitzvah or equivalent religious occasion
REQUIRED INFORMATION. Please include the following in your reqeust:
* name and home address of honoree(s)
* form of address (Mr., Ms., Mrs., Dr., Miss, etc.)
* exact date of occasion (month, day, year)
* age (birthdays) or number of years of marriage
* your (the requestor’s) name and daytime phone number
* any specific mailing instructions if other than to honoree’s address
* Wedding (Include couple’s married names and current or new address)
Additionally, almost as popular as a birthday wish for seniors from the President is a birthday wish from Willard Scott of the Today Show. Here’s how to submit a birthday wish request to Willard Scott.